We are absolutely thrilled to announce that we’re closer than ever to bringing the magic of Teatro ZinZanni back to San Francisco! On March 6, the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission voted 6-0 to authorize the first approval for Teatro ZinZanni’s future theater and hotel along the Embarcadero. But while this was a huge step forward, there are a few final steps before we’re back on the waterfront — and we’re looking for your help once more to raise the spiegeltent in San Francisco once again. To stay updated on how you can help us secure a final round of approvals, be sure to sign up for our email list or follow us on Facebook. You can also CLICK HERE to learn more about the project.
A New Home on the Bay
- The design for Teatro ZinZanni’s future home reveals that the century old Belgian spiegeltent will be showcased at the heart of a LEED-certified four story, 180 room hotel with a ground floor restaurant on the site and a privately financed new public open space.
- The heart of the design for Teatro Zinzanni is a 40-foot glass gazebo with the historic antique mirror tent enclosed within. The glass pavilion will reveal the backstage activity to all who pass by along The Embarcadero, the structure will be built to absorb sound and is “fritted” to ensure it can be seen by birds to avoid collisions by those species that populate the area.
- Additional highlights include windows along Davis Street for peeking into the kitchen’s operations, a restaurant on the floor level along the Embarcadero, extended stay rooms within the hotel for performers and surroundings on the site.
- Architect Mark Hornberger of Hornberger + Worstell designed the site plan and Merrill Morris Partners designed the new public open space utilizing feedback from community meetings and extensive research on the historic architecture of the neighborhood.Project Timeline
- Entitlements and Approvals – Spring / Summer 2019
- Break Ground – Early 2020
- Grand Opening – Winter 2021
- Are there any tickets I can buy to see Teatro ZinZanni now?Teatro ZinZanni is currently running year round in Seattle WA and will open a second location in Chicago IL this summer! You can purchase tickets or learn more about either location by visiting zinzanni.com
- Is the Teatro ZinZanni gift card purchased in San Francisco still valid? If you purchased or were gifted a Teatro ZinZanni gift card while we were operating in the Bay Area, your card is still valid for use when we return to our permanent location at The Embarcadero or if you attend a performance at our tent in Seattle WA.
- Is there anyway we can experience Teatro ZinZanni in the Bay Area right now? Even if we can’t go to the tent we would love to have performers at our upcoming event.Yes! Visit our Custom Events page to find out how you can work with our team to bring the world of Teatro ZinZanni to your event and venues in the SF area! Though it will be a bit longer before we open the doors to our permanent San Francisco home, that doesn’t mean you can’t experience Teatro ZinZanni at your own venue or event right now!